Monday, July 26, 2010

Summaries, summaries...

- Finnfest came and went as it always does -- so quickly, yet so slowly at the same time. It's one of those things that can only be understood if you attend. I feel like my performances went well... I sang 6 songs at different times throughout the day, ending with "Taylor the Latte Boy", naturally. I didn't forget my lyrics in the songs I was worried I would, and people laughed in all the right places of "Taylor" :) Success.

It was definitely my favorite of all the festivals, to date. I don't know what it was exactly, but I really enjoyed myself... I mean, I always do, but this time more than ever. It could be the nostalgia settling in as I prepare to move away from this tiny town, it could be that we recently said goodbye to my cousin Rosie, one of the women who started the festival, and I was missing her. It could also be that all of my commitments throughout the weekend only consisted of activities I enjoyed, and therefore wasn't stressed beyond belief.

- The Sillanpää family was back for this festival -- Jemina, Selina, and their parents Seppo and Aija. I always love when they come. They are amazing performers and even more amazing people. Jemina and Selina are living in Helsinki in a brand new "bigger than before" apartment, so we're hoping sometime in these next couples years I can make a trip over and stay with them. Let's pray it works out!

You can all buy their newest album -- I think from '08 -- on iTunes. Band'o: Huu. "Huu" is one of my favorite songs of theirs, and I'm pretty sure Jemina wrote it... Actually, I think the majority of the album, if not the whole thing, is comprised of original works by the girls. Even if you don't understand Finnish, it's still enjoyable.

- I saw a documentary during the festival that inspired me to no end: "The Singing Revolution". I highly recommend it to anyone who likes history. It's about the country Estonia, Finland's neighbor to the South -- separated by the Baltic -- and how music helped them gain their independence from the Soviet Union... Something they fought decades for, and finally gained in the early 90's. There were so many moments that seemed like they could only be written in some fictional Hollywood project, except they were true. Naturally, I cried from beginning to end. It's one of the most inspiring films I've ever seen in any genre, and now I'm desperate to attend the annual Estonian Song Festival. Watch the movie and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

It was also really interesting how much I felt I related to the people in the film. Not because I've shared similar experiences in prejudice or persecution, but because they looked like me. The children in the movie looked more like me than any kids in any Finnish movies I've seen. Watching them was like watching me and my sisters and my cousins. And the Estonian language is really close to Finnish... I understood more (when I wasn't reading subtitles) than I expected to. They share a lot of the same vocabulary... They share more commonalities than Finland shares with the Scandinavian countries.

So basically, I have a newfound love for the country of Estonia.

- The dance was awesome, as usual -- and we made complete fools of ourselves, as usual. We polkaed, waltzed, schottished and humpaaed 'til tomorrow came, and even learned a few new dances. Also, a certain member of the band was super adorable. That's all I'm sayin' ;)

- Only 2 days after I wrote the post concerning my cousins the Burkhalters, the second referral came. Babies Teseti (4 months) and Dejene (11 months) have begun the process of joining the family. We couldn't be more pleased, and the boys are beautiful! I've yet to hear what their names will be when the adoption becomes official... I'm very excited to learn that news when it comes.

- My baby sister, Kayti, turns 14 today. She starts high school in September. I'm feeling pretty... Old, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment